Wow! Video Games soon to become part of the British school curriculum?

In the Austrian newspaper "Die Presse", I found an article according to which a survey by the British education ministry has led to the conclusion that making video games such as Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario part of the curriculum would be a good idea in order to boost pupils' "thinking and problem solving" skills. (http://www.diepresse.com/Artikel.aspx?channel=h&ressort=hc&id=590398)

This is quite a contradiction to earlier (Japanese) surveys according to which video games may be bad for the cognitive development (I wrote an article about this back in 2002). On the other hand, I played a lot of video games during my elementary school years myself, and I was a very good student - maybe my success at school was partly due to these games since thanks to video games, I've had a lot of fun and enjoyed life, and so I didn't lose motivation to study!

Apparently it took my generation to grow up to an age at which some of us can enter government institutions to acknowledge the value of video games.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch