My diary 1994 - 1999

I read my diary which I kept from 1994 to 1999. A spoilt child mostly interested in playing and programming videogames having no problems at school is the impression you get first. But then comes August 1995 when I got my first issue of PC-Heimwerker by which I obtained contact with other computer freaks, which resulted in me making more effort to learn "professional" programming (C, Assembler, interrupts, etc.). The early development of Hugi, from a minor side-project to a widespread international magazine, is also covered. The style of the diary slightly matures over the time, though it remains more colloquial than how I used to write in my diskmag. But in general I do not seem to have been somebody to really look for intellectual challenges. I was happy experiencing my duties as not too difficult and being able to do things I like doing. I think gifted children should be given assignments that make them explore their own limits. My father gave me calculus tasks when I was at elementary school age. That was the only thing that went into this direction. Interestingly I was spending time doing the same kind of tasks when I was 11 years old as well, according to my diary. There was too little imagination what else I could be studying in addition to the not very challenging tasks at school. I recall I bought Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming" (all three volumes released so far) some months before my high school graduation exams in 2001. I did start reading it, which is documented by the notes and remarks I wrote inside the book, but I didn't get far, as other things apparently had higher priority. I think that instead of doing routine tasks such as editing and formatting articles, young people should spend more time learning.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch