My latest private project

My latest private project is a level editor for 2D platform games. I started working on it today and I have decided that I would post about my experiences in implementing the project.

The motivation is basically life-long interest in game development. As a child I designed a lot of platform games and made sketches using pen and paper. So far, I have not implemented any of these drafts. A level editor would be a good basis to change this.

I am working with Visual C++ 2015 and OpenGL. I am using code from the website NeHe for window handling and bitmap drawing. Basically, I am re-using the code of my 2D shooter game "Evolution" since it is a good basis for such a project.

The first thing I wanted to change was the shape of the mouse cursor. First of all, in "Evolution" the mouse cursor was disabled. I looked up on MSDN and found out that the mouse cursor can be displayed by writing

ShowCursor(1);

in the window method. Then I searched for information on how to change the appearance of the button and found some advice, but in the end it turned out to be even simpler: In NeHe_Window.cpp, there was the line

windowClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);

which simply had to be changed to

windowClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_CROSS);

Afterwards, I just modified the window size, toggled fullscreen mode off and then wondered why it was possible to run the program from command-line but not straight from Visual Studio. My first intuition was proved right: all I needed to change was the Working Directory in the Configuration Properties, section Debugging.

Now I'm done with what I originally wanted to do on day one. I'll think about the next steps and am very excited about this project.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch