Autobiographical Sketch

I was born on October 8th, 1983, in Vienna, Austria, Europe to a middle-class family, my mother working as an elementary school teacher and my father as an electrical engineer. Both of my parents were well-educated and had also studied pedagogics and psychology at university. I became acquainted with the philosophy of my late compatriot Sir Karl R. Popper at early age, and I was myself inclined to pondering over metaphysical and epistemological issues already as a child. I also invented my own private religion in the course of these ponderings.

School was easy for me. I was already an avid reader before enrolling at elementary school, and my father taught me mathematics at senior high school level before I even entered junior high school. I recall mastering calculus at the age of eight, for instance. The only subjects I was not so good at were handicraft and sports. Also, I found it difficult to memorize texts in detail, but this was only required in biology class.

All in all tuition was very good in English and also in the scientific subjects. However, I learned much more at home than at school. I taught myself to program computers at age eight, as I was keen on developing my own games of which I had been making sketches using pen and paper since I got my first Commodore 64. At age twelve I wrote the tutorial "The Real Adok's Way to QBASIC", which is still referenced as a standard textbook at various educational websites even today. At age fourteen I won first place in a programming contest, which was about size optimizing x86 Assembler code. After that I organized similar contests myself. Moreover, I already contributed to computer magazines at age ten and started editing my own electronical magazine when I was twelve years old, which focused on computer arts.

After graduating from high school I enrolled at medical school, following my father's wish. I passed the first three exams (chemistry, physics and biology) with grade "excellent" and my fellow students called me "the science genius". Unfortunately my grades dropped later in the course of my studies, when the focus shifted from understanding concepts to memorizing details. As I had problems performing the routine tasks of a physician in the practical courses, such as blood-taking, I decided to additionally study computer science so that I would at least qualify for a profession that would earn me a regular income. So I completed a Bachelor's degree in medical informatics, followed by a Master's degree in computational intelligence, focusing on algorithms, formal logics and theoretical computer science. In addition, I completed my doctorate in medicine.

It was 2013 when I began to work and earn money on a regular basis. Meanwhile I had got to know Dr. Uwe Rohr, a pharmacist and medical scientist who conducted research on the effects of phytoestrogens. I managed to impress Uwe with some philosophical essays I had written. He found me to be likeable and decided to support my ambitions to become a scientist. So we collaborated on several papers, some of which I became the first author of, and I was very proud that my name appeared in the journal "Hormone Molecular Biology and Clinical Investigation". Unfortunately Uwe died in 2016 and I was left alone again. Two years later I generalized his ideas and coined the term "symbiont conversion". However, the paper in which I described this has not been accepted by a scientific journal yet and can only be obtained from the Internet.

For a few months I was trying to work as a physician at hospital, but the problems I had with blood-taking led to the decision not to keep up my employment. So I did what I had already planned to do in such a situation and became a software engineer. In the first company where I worked, I took over the lead development of a program for computation and visualization of thermal bridges. Among other things, I developed a simplified method to input oblique and round shapes, an algorithm to scan the borders of a wall and a mesh voxelizer for conversion of arbitrary 3D objects to rectangular shapes. I am very proud of these achievements as they clearly showed my skills as a software engineer.

I have also been employed at some other companies and worked with programming languages such as C++, C#, SQL and JavaScript. In my sparetime I developed a couple of computer games, including a turn-based, tactical role-playing game series which I called Mega Force and which resemble the classical video game Shining Force 2 by Sega.

Sometimes I regret not having majored in physics because it would have opened me a perspective to do theoretical research, which is not really possible in medicine.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives