An important skill

Recently it has occurred to me that there is a special skill which few people have, but which is absolutely necessary to innovate.

I remember when my father taught me math, he always reminded me that I have to "speculate", to think about various possibilities how a problem could be solved. This skill is the thing that is necessary to come up with new solutions.

I believe that this skill can be trained very well in the demo scene if you watch demos and try to figure out how these effects might work. It's a different approach than just studying existing effects from books and then implementing them.

Of course size optimizing (as in the hugi compos) is also a way to train this skill, as you have to work out many different algorithms and, further, tactical optimizations before finding the optimal one.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch