Deus Vult Journal #1

I've just read the letter from the editor of Deus Vult Journal #1 again. He writes:

When I joined the HIQ community, I told myself that I was only going to join ISPE, and that would satisfy the insatiable itch for intellectual discourse and companionship. It didn’t take me long to realize that high IQ doesn’t correlate with good judgment or a well-formed conscience. Soon, I became aware of a strange, subterranean dichotomy, which revealed itself through periodic clashes on discussion boards. There were atheists, Freemasons, agnostics, and pantheists who all seemed to revel in the notion of bringing down the Catholic Church. At first, I attempted to reason with these people, but I was quickly made aware that they weren’t interested in truth or rational discussion,
Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says: “‘You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive. For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’ -Mt 13:14-15
I couldn’t understand how people with such high reasoning ability could generate such irrational argumentation. It dovetails with a perennial question of mine: why would the angles, who had perfect knowledge of their choices, deny God? Angels, whose intellects are far superior to our own, made two distinct decisions: 2/3 chose God, 1/3 did not. This reality is pivotal for me and my perception of reality, because it means that intelligence, reasoning, knowledge and understanding necessitate nothing. All that’s left is our will. At some point, people choose against God and truth and no degree of reasoning can convince them otherwise because reason isn’t how they made that choice to begin with. It’s the dark side of free will; the consequence of our potential to love.

For me it is difficult to believe that the editor speaks his mind. His words sound as if he thinks the teaching of the Catholic church are the absolute truth and that everybody who thinks differently is not rational.

Religious belief is just as rational or irrational as atheism. Maybe the belief that there is no god is less rational than the belief in god, but it is not rational to be convinced of the teachings of a particular religion. A religion is a fantasy story invented by a self-proclaimed prophet. Why should this prophet know the truth if he was merely a human being himself?

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The Demoscene

Digital Art Natives

Autobiographical Sketch